Knowing the game rules clearly makes you win it every time you play. So, here is an ultimate guide on how to play rummy- Nail it like no one did before.
Rummy is an exciting card game that can be played between 2-6 (or more) players. The main objective of the game is to make runs or sets in order to win the game. In this, you arrange 13 cards in valid sequences and out of this, one of the two sequences should be a pure sequence.
Well, Well, we know that it is quite confusing and a little overwhelming but do not worry, let’s take it one at a time and go through every little detail on how to play Rummy.
What is Rummy?
Rummy is a pick and discard card game. In the beginning of the game, you have two piles (open and hidden deck) of cards from which you have to draw or discard cards. People of all ages and groups enjoy rummy as it is thrilling and a skill based game where you form a sequence or set of cards of same denominations or suits.
It is similar to the game Poker but is not exactly the same. In rummy, these cards in each suit are ranked low to high starting with an Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen and King. You need to keep a track of them because it gets you points which later on makes you a winner. Jack, Queen, King and Ace usually have 10 points and the remaining cards have points according to their number or face value.
For example, the 5th card will have 5 points. The 6th card will have 6 points and so on…
Basic Rummy Rules You Should Know
- Rummy can be played between 2-6 players
- Two deck of cards needed
- Every player has 13 cards to deal with
- A player draws one random card which is known as the wild card or the joker (forms an impure sequence)
- The players have to draw and discard cards and form valid sequence of 13 cards in his hand
- If a player forms an impure sequence as well as one pure sequence, he is the winner
Objectives of Rummy
Well, the main aim of the game is very simple:
- Form Runs- Runs are consecutive sequences made by at least 3 cards of the same suit. For example- three, four, and 5 of hearts
- Form Sets- In this, you need to form three cards of the same rank. For example- you can have eights.
PRO TIP: Sometimes, sets are also referred to as ‘books’.
How Can You Form Sequences In Rummy?
In rummy, a sequence is a group of two or more consecutive cards of the same suit. You need to form an impure and a pure sequence in order to win the game.
It is a group of three (or more) cards of the same suit with one (or more) joker cards.
- If it is a heart suit, an impure sequence would be 4, 5, (wild card or joker card of any suit), 7.
- If it is a spade suit, an impure sequence would be 5, (wild card of any suit), 7, 8, (printed joker card).
A pure sequence is a group of three or more cards of the same suit that are placed in consecutive order. Always remember, there is no wild card or a joker card in a pure sequence.
- If it is a heart suit, a pure sequence of three would be 5, 6, 7.
- If it is a spade suit, a pure sequence of four would be 3, 4, 5, 6.
How To Play Rummy- Rummy Rules, Tips & More
- To begin with, a player gets 13 cards. Since, the game is played between 2-6 players two decks of cards are used.
- In the game, there is a dealer who deals the cards. He places the remaining cards in the centre. The placed cards in the centre are known as ‘stock’. The dealer turns the first card over (face up) and sets it beside the centre cards as the first card in the ‘discard pile’
- The game begins when the player to the left of the dealer takes one card from the stock or the discard pile. Now, the player makes certain combinations and if somehow, the player is not able to make the combination, he may discard any of his cards
- As the game progresses, the second player may or may not take the discarded card. He can also draw one card from the stock. Now, it is his turn to make combinations.
- The game continues in a clockwise manner turn by turn
- If by chance, the stock runs out, the dealer shuffles the discard pile and it becomes the new stock
- The game continues until one player makes runs or sets out of all their cards except one, which has to be placed in the discard pile
- When any player believes that he has won, he’ll tell the other players that he has only one card left. The player who announced that he might be the winner has to show that his other cards are arranged into sets and runs. Now, he has to discard his final card
- Once the winner is declared, each player totals his scores
Generally, aces are 15 points, face cards and 10s are 10 points, and other cards are scored according to their face value.
Note: if this is a tournament, the player with the highest score is eliminated and a new round for the rest of the players begins.
Tips on How To Form Sets | Rummy
When you form a group of three or more cards having the same value but are from different suits, it is called a set. A wild card or the joker card can be used to form a set. But, you can never use more than four cards to form a set.
- If you are planning to make an ace set, there should be three or more aces of different suits
- If you are planning to make a 9 set, then you can choose three cards of different suits and one wild card (or printed joker card) of any suit
Quick Tips on How To Win the Rummy Game
While knowing all the rummy rules is a must, quick tips on how you can win might save you from losing the game. Stay ahead with the rest of the players in the game:
- Focus on forming a pure sequence when the game begins. You can’t win unless you make a pure sequence
- Always try discarding cards with high points like Ace, Jack, Queen, King. You should replace these cards with joker, wild cards. This will reduce the point load at the end of the game
- If it is possible, do not pick from the discard pile as it discloses what hand you are trying to form
- Always be on a lookout for smart cards like 7 of any suit. 7 of any suit works with 5 or 6 of the same suit and more
- Always replace your high value cards with Joker
- Joker and wild cards are used to form pure sequence
- Recheck and recheck before making a declaration because an invalid declaration turns the game into a complete loss for you
What is the best strategy to play Rummy?
Well, there are different strategies for different variants of Rummy. But the first and foremost is, never draw from the discard pile until the first run is completed.
Is there a cheat sheet to win Rummy?
Yes, there are some points that you can surely utilise to win the game. The most important one is to be watchful and always make sure you have a lifeline.
Is WinZO Rummy a safe platform?
Yes, it is a completely and 100% safe and secure platform.
This was all about how to play Rummy and certain Rummy rules that you should know before playing the game.
I hope that you will find these tips and tricks really useful when you play. If you wanna have a wonderful gaming experience, play here.
Do, let us know if we missed anything on our Instagram.
Also, for your next game, All the best!