HomeIndian Premier League (IPL)Who owns Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL?

Who owns Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL?

The Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) team joined the Indian Premier League (IPL) in the inaugural season of the tournament in 2008, and has been a part of every season since. Captained by Virat Kohli, RCB have never won an IPL title.

Owners of RCB

The Bangalore-based franchise is owned by a subsidiary of United Spirits, which is a part of the British alcoholic beverages company Diageo. United Spirits, which is the world’s second-largest spirits company by volume, owns a 51% stake in Royal Challengers Sports Private Ltd., the company which runs the RCB franchise. The remaining 49% stake is owned by a group of companies including business tycoon Vijay Mallya’s UB Group. Previously, Mallya was the chairman and non-executive director of RCB, a post from which he resigned in 2016.

Performance over the years

RCB have not won the IPL but finished runners-up on three occasions between 2009 and 2016.

  • 2008: RCB won four out of their 14 matches in the inaugural season of the IPL and finished in 7th place on the points table.
  • 2009: They fared better in 2009, finishing second at the end of the league stage with seven wins out 14 and making it to the final, where they lost to eventual champions, the now-defunct Deccan Chargers.
  • 2010: They made it to the playoffs in 2010 as well, finishing third.
  • 2011: RCB made it to their second successive final in 2011, but once again lost to the Chennai Super Kings.
  • 2012 & 2013: They had a disappointing season in 2012, finishing in fifth place in the league stage and failed to qualify for the playoffs. They finished fifth again in 2013 with nine wins out of 16 matches.
  • 2014: RCB failed to qualify for the playoffs for the third successive season in 2013. They finished seventh that season with just five wins out of 14 matches.
  • 2015: RCB made it to the playoffs once again in 2015, but lost to eventual champions Mumbai Indians.
  • 2016: RCB had a great season in 2016, making it to the final for the third time where they lost to the Sunrisers Hyderabad.
  • 2017: They had a disappointing season in 2017, finishing eighth with just three wins out of 14 matches. No playoffs.
  • 2018: RCB finished sixth in 2018 with six wins out of 14 matches. No playoffs.
  • 2019: RCB were the wooden spooners of IPL 2019, with just five wins out of 14 matches.
  • 2020, 2021 and 2022: RCB made it to the playoffs in each of IPL 2020, 2021 and 2022, but were unable to make it to the final.

IPL 2023 squad of RCB

Ahead of the mini auction for IPL 2023, RCB released four players while retaining 18 players who helped them make the playoffs in the 2022 season. Sherfane Rutherford was released along with Luvnith Sisodia, Aneeshwar Gautam and Chama Milind. At the auction, they signed Reece Topley (INR 1.9 crore), Himanshu Sharma (INR 20 lakh), Will Jacks (INR 3.2 crore), Manoj Bhandage (INR 20 lakh), Rajan Kumar (INR 70 lakh), Avinash Singh (INR 60 lakh), Sonu Yadav (INR 20 lakh).

Full squad – Faf du Plessis (c), Virat Kohli, Suyash Prabhudessai, Rajat Patidar, Dinesh Karthik, Anuj Rawat, Finn Allen, Glenn Maxwell, Wanindu Hasaranga, Shahbaz Ahmed, Harshal Patel, David Willey, Karn Sharma, Mahipal Lomror, Mohammed Siraj, Josh Hazlewood, Siddharth Kaul, Akash Deep, Reece Topley, Himanshu Sharma, Will Jacks, Manoj Bhandage, Rajan Kumar, Avinash Singh, Sonu Yadav.

RCB IPL 2023 schedule

RCB will kick start their campaign against Mumbai Indians on April 2 in Bangalore. They are set to play a total of 14 matches in the league stage, the last of which will be played against Gujarat Titans on May 21.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular