The Mumbai Indians (MI) are the most successful team in the Indian Premier League (IPL). Based in India’s financial capital, the Mumbai team has been a part of every season of the tournament since 2008, emerging as winners a record five times. The first win was in 2013, followed by the second in 2015. The third, fourth and fifth win came in 2017, 2019 and 2020.
Owners of Mumbai Indians
The Mumbai Indians team is owned by India’s biggest conglomerate, Reliance Industries Ltd, which is owned by Mukesh Ambani, who is currently the richest person in India, and the tenth-richest in the world.
Headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, the company was founded in 1960 by Dhirubhai Ambani and is today India’s most valuable company by market value. The conglomerate has interests in a wide range of industries including petrochemicals, oil and gas exploration, retail, textiles and telecommunications among others.
Back in 2008, Reliance spent a whopping $111.9 million to buy the franchise. In 2017, the Mumbai Indians became the first IPL franchise to cross the $100 million mark in brand value among the IPL franchises. As of 2023, they continue to have the best brand value among all the IPL teams at $83 million, per global brand valuation agency Brand Finance.
Mukesh’s wife Nita Ambani is often spotted on the stands at every Mumbai Indians game, and is also a part of the strategic planning at the annual auctions.
MI performance over the years
Mumbai Indians have won the IPL title five times (in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2020). They also won two Champions League T20 titles, in 2011 and 2013, respectively. The team has won all its five trophies under the captaincy of Rohit Sharma, who is also their all-time highest run-scorer.
- 2008: In the inaugural season of IPL, Mumbai Indians finished fifth in the league stage, failing to make it to the knockouts stage.
- 2009: They fared worse the next season, finishing seventh in the league stage and once again failing to make it to the playoffs.
- 2010: They made it to the final after finishing the league stage at the second position. However, they lost to Chennai Super Kings by 22 runs in the final.
- 2011 and 2012: In both 2011 and 2010, Mumbai Indians made it to the playoffs but could not make the final.
- 2013: They won their first title in 2013, defeating Chennai Super Kings in the final by 23 runs
- 2014: They finished fourth and made it to the playoff but not to the final.
- 2015: Mumbai Indians won their second trophy in 2015, defeating Chennai Super Kings in the final by 41 runs
- 2016: They finished fifth in the league stage, failing to make it to the playoffs.
- 2017: They won their third title in 2017 by defeating Rising Pune Supergiant in the final by 1 run.
- 2018: This was an average season for the side, as they failed to make the playoffs after finishing fifth.
- 2019 and 2020: Mumbai Indians won their fourth and fifth IPL title in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
- 2021 and 2022: They have failed to make the playoffs in both the last two seasons and will be looking to stage a strong comeback in 2023.
Mumbai Indians squad for IPL 2023
Mumbai Indians retained a total of 16 players ahead of the IPL 2023 auction, including their star players Rohit Sharma, Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah and others.
Among the players they released were Kieron Pollard (Retired), Daniel Sams, Fabian Allen, Jaydev Unadkat, Riley Meredith and Tymal Mills. At the auction, meanwhile, they signed up Cameron Green (INR 17.5 crore), Jhye Richardson (INR 1.5 crore), Piyush Chawla (INR 50 lakh), Duan Jansen (INR 20 lakh), Vishnu Vinod (INR 20 lakh), Shams Mulani (INR 20 lakh), Nehal Wadhera (INR 20 lakh), Raghav Goyal (INR 20 lakh)
Full squad – Rohit Sharma (c), Tim David, Ramandeep Singh, Tilak Varma, Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishan, Tristan Stubbs, Dewald Brevis, Jofra Archer, Jasprit Bumrah, Arjun Tendulkar, Arshad Khan, Kumar Kartikeya, Hrithik Shokeen, Jason Behrendorff, Akash Madhwal, Cameron Green, Jhye Richardson, Piyush Chawla, Duan Jansen, Vishnu Vinod, Shams Mulani, Nehal Wadhera, Raghav Goyal.
MI schedule for IPL 2023
Mumbai Indians will kick start their campaign against Royal Challengers Bangalore on April 2 in Bangalore. They are set to play a total of 14 matches in the league stage, the last of which will be played against Sunrisers Hyderabad on May 21.