Delhi Capitals, formerly known as Delhi Daredevils, represents India’s capital city, Delhi in the Indian Premier League. The team was founded in 2008 as one of the original eight franchises and has been a part of the league in every season since. However, the Capitals have not had much success and have not been able to win a single trophy in all these years.
Table of contents
Owners of Delhi Capitals
The Delhi Capitals team is jointly owned by the GMR Group and JSW Group. GMR Group is a conglomerate that has interests in various sectors including airports, energy, and infrastructure. Founded in 1978 by Grandhi Mallikarjuna Rao, the GMR Group, today, is one of India’s leading and most diversified companies.
The GMR Group currently operates six airports in India and one in the Philippines. Apart from airports, the group also has major interests in the energy sector and operates two power plants in India with a total capacity of 1,400 MW. They also operate several toll roads in India, including the Delhi-Agra expressway.
The GMR Group purchased the Delhi IPL team in 2008, during the inaugural season of the tournament, for a price of $84 million for a ten-year period. This was the fourth-highest bid for any team in the IPL at the time. Apart from owning Delhi Capitals, the GMR group also owns UP Yoddha, a Kabaddi team that plays in the Pro Kabaddi League.
In March 2018, the GMR Group sold 50% shares of Delhi Capitals to JSW Sports, who acquired the rights for an estimated $77 million.
Delhi Capitals performance over the years
Delhi Capitals used to be one of the weakest teams in the IPL at one point of time. Over the years, however, their performances have improved, but they are yet to win an IPL trophy.
- 2008: In the inaugural season of IPL, Delhi Capitals reached the semi-finals but lost to the Rajasthan Royals.
- 2009: They once again reached the semifinals in 2009, but were not able to make it to the final.
- 2010: The Capitals were not able to make it to the playoffs after finishing fifth in the standings at the end of the league stage.
- 2011: This was one of their worst seasons. Capitals finished right at the bottom of the points table.
- 2012: They made it to the playoffs for the third time, but could not make the final.
- 2013 to 2018: For each season from IPL 2013 to 2018, the Capitals finished at the wrong half of the points table and were not able to qualify for the playoffs.
- 2019 to 2021: Delhi Capitals made it to the playoffs in 2019, 2020, and 2021. In 2020, they reached the finals for the first time in their history but lost to the Mumbai Indians.
- 2022: Once again in 2022, they failed to make the playoffs and will be looking to stage a strong comeback in 2023.
Delhi Capitals squad for IPL 2023
Ahead of IPL 2023, the Capitals traded Shardul Thakur to Kolkata Knight Riders in exchange for Aman Khan. They also released KS Bharat and Tim Seifert among other players. Coming to the retained players, the franchise held on to the likes of Rishabh Pant, David Warner, Prithvi Shaw and Kuldeep Yadav among others.
In absence of injured Rishabh Pant, the side will be led by David Warner this season.
Full squad – Rishabh Pant (c), David Warner, Prithvi Shaw, Ripal Patel, Rovman Powell, Sarfaraz Khan, Yash Dhull, Mitchell Marsh, Lalit Yadav, Axar Patel, Anrich Nortje, Chetan Sakariya, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Khaleel Ahmed, Lungi Ngidi, Mustafizur Rahman, Aman Khan, Kuldeep Yadav, Praveen Dubey, Vicky Ostwal, Ishant Sharma, Phil Salt, Mukesh Kumar, Manish Pandey, Rilee Rossouw.
Delhi Capitals schedule for IPL 2023
Delhi Capitals will kick start their campaign against Lucknow Super Giant on April 1 in Delhi. They are set to play a total of 14 matches in the league stage, the last of which will be played against Chennai Super Kings on May 20.