If you are looking for a fun and easy game to play with your family or friends, try Sequence. Sequence is a board and card game that combines strategy, luck, and teamwork. It can be played by 2 to 12 players, depending on the version you have. All you need is a Sequence board, a deck of cards, and some chips. In this blog, we will explain the game rules of Sequence and how to play it. Whether you are new to the game or a seasoned player, you will find something valuable and interesting in this blog. So let’s get started!
How to Setup Sequence Game
When setting up for a game of Sequence, it’s important to first determine how the game will be played based on the number of players. For two players, the game is played individually with blue and green chips. If there are three players, the game is played individually with blue, green, and red chips. If there are four or more players, the players should be divided into a maximum of three teams with the same number of players.
As soon as the playing method has been decided, place the game board in the centre of the table, leaving enough space around the edges for each player to have a pile of chips and a discard pile. Each player or team will take one of the colours of chips. The Joker cards should be removed from the deck of cards, as they are not used in Sequence.
To determine the dealer, each player should randomly cut the deck and receive a card. Those who draw the lowest card become dealers, with Aces considered high. The dealer will shuffle the cards and deal them face down to each player.
Depending on how many players join the game, the number or cards they receive is as follows:
- Between 2 players, each will have 7 cards
- If there are 3-4 players, they will have 6 cards each
- For 6 players, they will have 5 cards each
- For 8 or 9 players, each will have 4 cards
- For 10 or 12 players, they will have 3 cards each
It is the player on the left of the dealer who begins the game. The game moves clockwise (left) during play.
How to Play Sequence Game
To learn the game rules Sequence, you need to follow these steps:
- Select a card from your hand that matches an empty space on the board. Each card (except jacks) is pictured twice on the board. You can play any card you want, as long as there is a vacant space for it on the board.
- Discard the card you selected by placing it face up in front of you. This forms your discard pile, which should be visible to all other players.
- Place one of your chips on the corresponding space on the board. For example, if you played a queen of hearts, you can put your chip on any of the two queens of hearts spaces on the board.
- Draw a new card from the draw pile. You should always have the same number of cards in your hand at the end of your turn. If you forget to draw a card before the next player takes their turn, you lose the right to draw a new card and must finish the game with fewer cards.
Special Sequence Rules
- Jacks are wild cards. There are two types of jacks: two-eyed jacks and one-eyed jacks. Chips can be placed anywhere on the board using two-eyed jacks. One-eyed jacks can be used to remove an opponent’s chip from any space on the board, except those that are part of a completed sequence.
- Cards that can’t be played because both corresponding spaces on the board have a chip are considered dead cards. With each turn, you can discard one dead card from your hand, draw a new card, and inform the other players that you have a dead card. However, you can only do this once per turn.
- The four corners of the board are bonus spaces. They can be used by any player or team as part of their sequence. They do not need a card to be played on them. More than one player or team can use the same corner as part of their sequence.
The game continues until one player or team makes the required number of sequences to win the game. A sequence is a row of five chips of your colour in any direction: horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. You can use any space from one sequence in another sequence, as long as they are not overlapping.
The number of sequences needed to win depends on how many players or teams are playing:
- If there are two players or teams, you need to make two sequences to win.
- If there are three players or teams, you need to make one sequence to win.
Sequence is a fun and easy rules of sequence game that combines strategy, luck, and teamwork. The game can be played by 2 to 12 players, depending on the version, and all you need is a Sequence board, a deck of cards, and some chips. Follow the simple setup and gameplay rules outlined in this blog to enjoy hours of entertainment with your family and friends.